Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Call...

I had just sat down to eat dinner with my husband. Both of the kids were with their grandma at a local park. As I was looking at the menu, my husband's phone rang. I watched him as the person on the other line gave him news. His face did not look good. I could only imagine what was being said. He didn't tell me, he just said, we have to go. We ran out the door, after appologizing to our waitress, and headed to the car. I asked what was wrong, and he said, 'It's Ryan, he fell off the slide and the ambulance is on the way'. My heart sank. Ryan is my heart and sole, and a life without him would be empty and without purpose.

As we started to head towards the park, we got a call directing us to go to the emergency room. We arrived before the ambulance, and it was the longest 15 minutes of my life. I kept repeating the Lord's Prayer in my head and I said my own prayer in between. Finally, the ambulance arrived. I saw my little guy being wheeled out from the ambulance. He was attached to a board by restraints, he was alert, but didn't say much. I could tell he was scared. I held his little hand as they wheeled him to a room.

One of my very good friends is an ER doctor, and we were blessed that he was working and able to see Ryan. I knew that he would not hold anything back and that he would take excellent care of my little one. After a thorough exam, CT scan and xrays, my friend the doctor said that Ryan seemed to be okay and that he could go home but should be observed.

As we drove out of the hospital parking lot, I reflected on all of the emotions I had during the evening. Fear was the greatest, but I knew that there were angels watching over Ryan. Everyone who meets him says that he is a special boy, and he is. There is something so special about him.

I didn't sleep very well as I continued to wake and check on him every few hours, but just to have him in my arms was a blessed feeling. It could have been a different story, but thank God, it all turned out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment