Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Crazy Look...


Did you ever get the feeling that someone was looking at you like you were totally crazy? Well, I have had that feeling many, many times over the last 4 1/2 years. I experienced it yet again yesterday. I took Ryan to the pediatrician. The doctor wanted to touch base on his development, and he was due for vaccinations.

Previously, I was not cautious about vaccinations and I have always believed that vaccinating your children was the best thing to do. But I feel differently now since his diagnosis. I don't think that Ryan's vaccanations caused his autism, but as I have discussed previously, I do think that it is possible that his vaccanations may have made his autistic characteristics stronger. So I asked the doctor if we could space out the five shots that he was due to have, and not do them all at once. She didn't see an issue with my request.

When the nurse came in, she appeared puzzled and asked why I was only doing two shots. I explained myself. She looked at me as if I had said that I starved my child. Yes, she thought I was crazy. I am used to that look by now. I get it all the time. I get it from people who can't believe there is anything "wrong"with Ryan, and I get it from people who don't understand or "know" autism. Autism is a lesson in being sympothetic, kind and patient. When you "know" autism, you don't question or give other parents the "crazy" look, you just look at the parent as an equal. You know and understand many of their struggles. Their struggles may be less than yours, or more than yours, but you have compassion and you understand.

Recently, I seem to be surrounding myself with both knowledge and other parents who understand. I don't resent those that don't have an autistic child, because I too have a child (Lindsey) that is not autistic, but I do find comfort in people who make me feel like I am not alone and that my struggles are normal. It makes life seem a little more "normal" and calm when you see or talk to a parent who knows what you are going through.

I took both of my children to a local play place yesterday, where there are big tubes to climb through, and slides and ball pits. Both of my kids love the freedom of running and yelling, and I love that they are exhausted by the time we leave..."YEAH BEDTIME!" While I was keeping a close eye on Ryan, I noticed a mother chasing after her 5 year old. She was pregnant, and pretty far along. She looked exhausted. I asked her if I could get her something to drink. She smiled, and politely said, "No thank you, I am fine." We started to talk, and chase our boys. I came to find out that her son is autistic. She has known since he was 2. He is non verbal, yet full of life and energy. We could not chat very long because both of our boys were very active and running in different directions, but it was the nicest five minutes of the day. She understood my exhaustion, my frustration and my joy.

There are all kinds of parents out there who understand the journey of autism. We are not alone, and not crazy. We are human, and we are parents, and I will say it, we are darn good parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment