Friday, January 30, 2009

Exhaustion...

Autism is exhausting! I have never been so tired in my life. I got the chance to spend a snow day with both Ryan and his sister yesterday. Spending a day with Ryan is a gift, but he leaves me so tired. He asks for the same things over, and over, and over, and over again. For example, he doesn't understand that we don't have any more Pop Tarts, and so I usually end up losing the argument and head to the grocery store to pick up more of what he is asking for just to have a minute of peace. It is a full day, full of answering all of his questions. Usually he asks the same questions and I answer the same answers multiple times before he goes on to something else and then he comes back to the same round of questions. Sometimes it is funny, and I can answer him creatively, while other times, it is just plain tiresome. I feel like I am reliving that movie with Bill Murray "Groundhog Day" with so many of the conversations I have with Ryan. I keep thinking, maybe the way Ryan learns and retains things, is to keep asking. But I know that he usually has to ask mulitple times before he can process my answers and let it sink in. All in a days work.

No comments:

Post a Comment